THEME: ART

Art is the colors and textures of your imagination

Monday, September 17, 2007

Music, Currypuff and Me - by Azlan

If you ask me what is the one thing that I can never separate myself from? I would definitely say music. I don't really remember the first time I became so fond of music, but I think it all started when I was in my secondary school; Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Agama Slim River.

Before PMR (Penilaian Menengah Rendah), I was like any other average person who listens to any types of music which are popular and appeal to my ears like hip-hop, pop-rock, ballads, R&B, and such. Also, my perception towards music was not as critical as I am now. Later, when I was in form 3, my friend brought a cassette player and he let me listen to a band, RATM (Rage Against The Machine); a nu-metal band. I was a little shocked of how their music sound and i told my friend i don't like it. Despite what I said at that time, RATM has been my favorite up until now and maybe forever. Funny isn't it? From that moment, I actually have found what I really like; rock and metal kind of music (to be general). It’s like to be able to find the identity I’ve been searching for all this while.
Nevertheless, the real turning point of my 'conversion' was actually after PMR. I got 3As and 6Bs (not a good result, I know) and yet I requested to my auntie to buy me a walkman as when I was in form 3, many of my friends had it. And what's worse of me, I even asked to have the expensive one. Cunning i may be, but what do u know, i got it (although it broke down a few years ago - so sad). From then on, if i have some extra money, i always spend them for music cassettes.
I like curry puff. So I’ll be very sad if I were to buy one that tastes like...well whatever. I feel like shouting, " If you do not know how to make one, just close your stall, will you??!!" so, what does curry puff have to do with music then? It’s just the same. If you people do not know how to make quality music, do not even think of creating one. Music is more than just creating a song and singing it.
I’m supposed to continue what I talked about previously. But I do not really want to talk about it. Hehe... maybe I’ll just say, my interest in music has been radical since then. My all-time favourite band however, is still the same and increasing maybe. to list a few, they are, RATM, Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, Korn, Mushroomhead, Metallica, Cromok, Butterfingers, Project AK and etc. not to mention, I like classical music a lot too. Mozart, Schumann, Schubert, and many more!! What about nasyid? Hmm... I’m very critical about nasyid. Maybe you can say I’m like a 'puritan' when it comes to nasyid. So far, I only take a liking to Brothers, Qathrunnada, and Raihan only. Why? Because others are rubbish; no creativity in song presentation, and bad role model. Haha!!
If any of you were to read this, please bear in mind that everything I said here is solely based on my humble opinion although I seem to talk arrogantly. haha! Afterwards, there will be no more of my musical journey autobiography; something new. Ok. Bye for now.

No comments: